This question came from Lana:
Do you tithe 10% before or after taxes and can you send me the verse on that?
Great question! I believe giving/tithing is supposed to be our first expense -- that is, first before every before taxes, 401(k), health care, bills, purchases, etc. That makes tithing off the gross, not the net.
Why do I say that? Tithing was supposed to be our "firstfruits". Remember the agricultural context of the Bible. A farmer would plant their crops. The first 10% of their harvest was given to God (before expenses, taxes, purchases, etc.). This was a serious act of faith because the farmer had no guarantee that the rest of the 90% of their crop would be harvested successfully. But when they trusted God with the first 10% (the firstfruits), God provided.
Here are the verses I talk about in the video:
- Old Testament:
- Exodus 23:19, 34:26. Proverbs 3:9–10. Malachi 3:8–12.
- Numbers 28:26. Deuteronomy 18:4–5, 26:9–10. 2 Chronicles 31:5–6. Nehemiah 10:35–39.
- New Testament:
Check out the video below for the full answer.